It’s that time again…
Last year we published a blog outlining 32 surprising social media stats for 2019 – one of our most viewed web pages of the entire year! So we figured we’d rally up all the stats you need to know for 2020.
The land of social media marketing is constantly evolving. New trends, platforms and features are popping up left, right and centre. Not to mention the ever-changing algorithms. And as quickly as they pop-up, the quicker they disappear. Think about it, how often do you post to someone’s Facebook Wall? That’s sooo 2006.
The same goes for Instagram stories. Released in 2016, it took just 3 years to attract over 500 million daily users of the feature. Proof just how quickly the social media landscape changes and trends come and go.
This is why it’s vital for marketers and small businesses to stay updated with the latest trends and statistics that could potentially impact their existing strategies.
Here are 34 social media stats you need to know this year.
General Social Media Statistics 2020
1.42% of the world’s population use social media
This equates to 3.2 billion users worldwide.
2. Millennials are the largest user base
90.4% of Millenials, 77.5% of Generation X and 48.2% of Baby Boomers are active social media users.
3. 54% of social browsers use social media to research products
Global Web Index found that Social Browsers (those who use social media to fill up spare time, without posting themselves) may be quiet online, but they are brand-engaged and will use these platforms to conduct product research.
4. We spend an average of 2 hours and 22 minutes on social media per day
This is up by 7 minutes compared to last year.
5. More than a million new people join social media every day
366 million new people started using social media in the past year alone!
Facebook Statistics 2020
Facebook continues to dominate the world of social media. It remains the most used platform for both marketers and consumers.
6. 44 million people in the UK use Facebook on a regular basis
Compared to the previous year, when there were 39 million users in the UK.
7. 74% of all Facebook users are active daily
With most people accessing the platform around 8 times every day.
8. 66% of users said they Like or Follow a brand
Facebook is a great platform for getting your products and services in front of the right people.
9. Sundays show the least engagement
For your posts to really gain traction, Monday – Friday is best.
We have a full blog on the best time to post to social media in the UK, which you can read here. Or why not schedule a free demo of our social media tool that can identify the best time to post for you!
10. Facebook made $17.65 billion in revenue in the third quarter of 2019
Along with a growing user base, the platform is also seeing an increase in revenue showing how Facebook is quickly becoming a pay-to-play market.
11. 96% of Facebook users are mobile users
Bear this in mind when you’re crafting social media posts and ad campaigns, and think how your content will appear on mobiles. With our handy scheduling tool, you can preview how your posts will look across the channels before it’s published. Contact us to find out more.
Instagram Statistics 2020
Out of all of the social media platforms, Instagram tends to see the most evolution, and it seems that new features are released every few months. From hiding like counts to adding donation features in Stories, lots have changed over the past year. This goes to show how Instagram is constantly striving to stay relevant and up to date.
12. Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users
And 500 million of them use it daily. This is a 42.86% increase from 2017 when it had just 700 million users.
13. 90% of users follow a business
This suggests that Instagram users are keen to hear from and about brands on the platform. So if your business isn’t on Instagram, make that a priority for 2020!
14. Video gains 49% more interactions that image posts
It’s good to test other formats of content than just single images. It’s also good to test different post lengths, emojis and hashtags to see what works for you and your followers.
15. 72% of teens use Instagram
Instagram continues to attract younger audiences – a key platform for your business if they are your target market.
16. 83% of Instagram users discover new products and services on the platform
Instagram is the ideal fit for e-commerce marketing and is often used as the discovery part of the sales funnel.
Twitter Statistics 2020
Despite a slight drop in user count in 2018, Twitter still remains one of the top social media platforms. If this is a key channel for you, here are some statistics.
17. There are 330 million active users worldwide…
as of Q1 2019 and around 326 million people use the platform every month.
18. Link clicks account for 92% of all user interaction with Tweets
Even if your Tweets aren’t gaining the likes and retweets they deserve, they are driving traffic to your website or blog. Be sure to include links as often as you can.
19. 83% of people who sent a Tweet to a brand and recieved a response felt better about the company and were more likely to do business with them
This is probably the most important stat for Twitter as it remains to be a customer service platform above all else. If a customer has taken the time to Tweet you with their thoughts, don’t ignore that. It’s the perfect way to interact with your customers (and potential customers) about your products and services.
20. 3% of Tweets about customer service issues call out the company by using the @ symbol
This is why social media listening and monitoring tools are super important. Chances are you are currently missing out on Tweets where customers are complaining, complimenting or contemplating your business. An effective social media listening tool will pick up on these Tweets and ensures that no Tweets about you go unnoticed.
LinkedIn Statistics 2020
As the largest professional network, LinkedIn is the ideal platform for B2B marketing.
21. There are 530 million user profiles on LinkedIn
90 million of these users are senior-level influencers, and 63 million are in decision-making positions.
22. 46% of all social media traffic to businesses websites comes from LinkedIn
Thanks to LinkedIn’s advanced audience targeting capabilities, you can ensure that this level of traffic contains those most likely to convert into leads.
23. There are 9 billion content impressions in LinkedIn feeds every week
So if you’re a B2B company and are looking to increase your brand awareness – LinkedIn is the platform for you.
24. 80% of B2B leads come from LinkedIn
And, 94% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to distribute content.
YouTube Statistics 2020
If you’re a first-time creator or wanting to grow your subscriber account, the first step to mastering this platform is to get a handle on the numbers and current trends.
25. YouTube has over two billion monthly active users
YouTube’s user base is growing every year. In 2018, their user population consisted of only 1.8 billion.
26. The average user spends 11 minutes on YouTube
Again, this number is up from the year prior, when it was 8 minutes.
27. YouTube is the world’s second-largest search engine…
… after Google. YouTube is also responsible for more than one-third of mobile internet traffic.
Social Media Advertising Statistics 2020
We all strive for organic growth, but changes in social media algorithms have made this much more challenging to achieve. Paid advertising is now somewhat of a necessity for brands on social media and for businesses that want to gain more visibility, generate leads and drive traffic to their website.
28. Facebook ads with images are 75% to 90% more effective
Interesting visuals will help your ads to be noticed by more people, but remember to not include large amounts of text.
29. 94% of Facebook advertising revenue came from mobile
Mobile users contribute to a large majority of social advertising revenue.
30. 40% of small businesses rely on social media ads for revenue generation
Social media advertising is an inexpensive way to reach new people, making it a go-to for small businesses. If you’d like to know more about how this could work for your business, we are Facebook Advertising specialists at Shareable. Click here to find out more.
31. 26% of people who click on Facebook ads ended up making a purchase
Proof that Facebook ads can generate revenue and showcase your products and services to a new audience.
Social Media Statistics for Businesses 2020
Social media has become a key player in the buying journey, and there are multiple reasons why your business should be active on social media.
32. 50% of consumers follow brands on social media to learn about their products or services
33. 61% of consumers say brands can encourage purchases by offering discounts or trials on social media
34. 85% of businesses use third-party tools and apps to manage services to help maintain and manage their social presence.
These social media marketing statistics reveal trends in social media right now, where it might going in the future and how you can ensure your business continuously meets customers needs.
Utilise these statistics to your advantage and you’ll have a better understanding of what you need to do this year 2020 to really make your social media awesome!